29 décembre 2006

Fly off


The Loire looks harmless enough

















A peaceful lunch in Vouvray before trouble arrives


I could kick myself. Here I was procrastinating, wasting my time. Indecisive, unsure of myself, doubting my ability to stand up to the ogres that I was shortly to meet. Was that the way to face up to the challenge in front of me? Are people who practice survival of the fittest in all they do, squeamish about the details? Of course not, they sit down to an elaborate Christmas lunch while the soldiers kill the women and children in Iraq. No weak stomach there. A nation admired and courted by the Russian mafia, and before that, Al Qaeda, both of whom found a welcome mat in London.

So forthwith I set off for Tours airport, determination in my every step. I took the quick route. Normally I would go the long way round and admire my two favourite roundabouts. Very well designed and maintained in a Japanese style with pinus sylvestris, hornbeam and graminées. No time to finesse today, I was meeting people who can do no better in roundabouts than stinging nettles and broken crash barriers.

I was quickly at Tours airport. It was used by Churchill during the war before the armistice and later by NATO. The latter were told to ‘fly off’ by the Général. Which they did, in a sulk. There is unlimited free parking at 100 m from the entrance and only one check in counter and boarding gate. An airport right sized if ever there was one.

Well finally I was early after all. So I sat down at the little café to have another espresso. The action had distracted my mind from my dark thoughts, but these came crowding in again. I saw the 1 million Irish dying from famine. I imagined pompous aristocrats in the newly rebuilt Palace of Westminster announcing that the world was a better place without these feckless individuals. Was I feckless also? Was I as easily expendable as the aborigines of Australia? Then, in my minds eye, I saw the faces of the travellers in the plane, with that monstrous crowd psychology which overtakes the Brits as they escape from their isle. The grotesque faces, distorted by alcohol. The grins from deformed ear to deformed ear. They started to chant; ‘We’ll get you, we’ll get you, You frog’. Soon they would be overhead, they would make a swoop over the airport with their ill maintained, vibrating, gnashing engines. I would see the gaps in their teeth, smell the bad breath.

I was terrified.

















I found time for my favourite roundabout afterall

5 commentaires:

Sarah a dit…

Richard, it sounds like you have very odd friends and family. Are these the ones that puke in the garden?

Bill Taylor a dit…

You must admit, Sarah, it's pretty riveting stuff. Aren't you looking forward to the next installment?I'm leaving for Rome in a couple of hours and I'm not at all sure I'll be able to access the blogosphere. I'll have some heavy-duty reading to do when I get home.

richard of orléans a dit…

Bill
Have a good trip. My love to Rome.

Sarah a dit…

Well, I'm leaving for the UK and I'm not sure if I can keep up either. It depends if my mother's Mac is connected up.

I thought it would have been done and dusted by now, this account of Christmas!

Louise a dit…

Poor Roo ... he is obviously going through a truly horrifying Christmas and New Year, so I think that when blogging resumes full-time after the break, we had better go gently on him for a couple of days.

I suppose someone has to know these people with their bad breathe, alcohol-bloated faces, bad dentistry or whatever, so we must say a big thank you to Roo for dealing with them for us...just keep 'em in Orleans, Roo, there's a good man.

Apart from Brother Number 4, all my visitors are French over the New Year, and my English visitors obviously aren't in the Roo category, I'm happy to say.

My children inform me that the Eurotrash have arrived in Verbier, but this happens every year, and tomorrow night will be found in the centre of town swigging Dom Perignon from the bottle and acting totally disgracefully.