20 décembre 2006

A day in the forest

Well you all manage to blog fantastically well and my little blog has difficulty in following the standard set. I do wonder if there is some blogging on company time and whether we will see another case of Petite Anglaise. Today I’ve got two pictures for you.

I am friends with an old lady who lives on her own in a big house in the middle of the Sologne forest. She has pheasants, deer and wild pigs running around near her house. When I first met her I thought she was Scandinavian, she has a blond complexion and doesn’t talk quite like the locals. In fact she is Alsacienne. She married a Frenchman ‘de l’interieure’ as they call people from the other side of the Vosges and has lived in Orléans for yonks. But she is still very Alsacienne. I think she likes me because she considers me a stranger, like her, confronting the terrors of Orléans locals. She explains to me, in a shocked tone, that her neighbours can’t sort their rubbish. Though she does admit to a little cheating, putting leaves in with the normal rubbish, but she hides them well. A concession to local custom.

She also appreciates me because I do good turns. Living in the middle of a forest her gutters get full of leaves, and that was the mission. I spent a few happy hours up a ladder in freezing cold weather, my hands in soggy decomposing leaves and icy dirty water trickling down my neck. Better than looking for Indian restaurants I thought, or reading Colinb's blog.

In exchange for my good deed she let me photograph her tap. She also has two lovely brooms, a red one; that would go nicely with Sarah's house. I always take a professional interest in brooms. These ones had magnificent bristles, supple but efficient.The photo shows an impressive galvanised pipe coming down from the gutter, where I had spent those fulfilling hours. If you look carefully at the photo you can see my footprints. By that time I had been walking in the decomposed leaves from the gutters, hence the dirty traces.















Later I found this lovely wheel barrow; retired to the bottom of the garden. Gracefully passing its retirement without hassle nor trouble. Willing to give a hand if need be, but not endlessly and boringly recalling past glories. I fell in love with that wheelbarrow





A chat, an orange juice and it was already 5 o'clock. Time for me to wend my way along the narrow roads of Sologne and back to my lovely little wife. What a happy day.

9 commentaires:

Louise a dit…

And who was bitchy when I published a photo of my gutter?

Sarah a dit…

Hey, that looks like my wheelbarrow that got nicked a couple of years ago!

richard of orléans a dit…

Louise, accusations, accusations, I was never bitchy. I just suggested that having seen the dog and the gutter it was time to see lovely Louise.

Thank you Anne for your best wishes, Bonne Année to you. I am glad you got off the roof. If you have WiFi and a lap top up there, you can send us a message next time.

Sarah rest assured that your wheelbarrow is well cared for. A little light work from time to time. Otherwise resting in a sunny, leafy corner of the garden.

Bill Taylor a dit…

I rather wish Anne Gilbert had told us HOW she got off the roof. Perhaps she flew.
Richard, you're setting the bar for blogging at a new height. It's a guaranteed day-brightener.
All the very best for Christmas and the coming year. It might be fun in 2007 to count the number of times Colin Berry, outraged beyond endurance, leaves "forever" in a huff and is back, as brazen as ever, in a minute-and-a-huff.

Louise a dit…

Agree with Bill, your postings were possibly the most infuriating on Colin R's blog during 2006 but you kept them all on their toes! Well done - makes a change from the girlie remarks.

Have a lovely Christmas with your family, keep pouring the cheap plonk for the visitors and keep a look out for taps between Christmas and New Year - they might have tinsel on them...

richard of orléans a dit…

Thanks Louise, thanks Bill. Remember,most of what I say may be true. But then again. I'll apply that standard to your polite comments.

Happy Christmas to you both. I'll look forward to a Rome article in the Toronto Star in the new year.

Sarah a dit…

It looks a bit lonely...

Sarah a dit…

(the wheelbarrow)

richard of orléans a dit…

You're right Sarah, how perceptive. It is a little lonely. Big house, big garden, neighbours not near. One old lady living on her own. Husband left her for a 'deuxiéme jeunesse' a long time ago. She should move out, go to Orléans, get a little apartment. Let a young family play with the wheelbarrow. Ah, but the bricks and mortar represent the memories of a lost youth and a happy family. How silly human beings are.