10 janvier 2007

Picnic pas ordinaire du tout





My work usually takes me to either the Orléans suburbs or, what I believe the Anglo Saxons call, the exburbs. For which I don’t think we have a word in French. Maybe ‘la couronne’ which is used for Paris, outer and inner, but not for the agglomeration (shortened to agglo.) Orléanaise.

We are rarely in the same place for long so lunch habits don’t develop. The lunch policy laid down by the boss is a half hour picnic. So we sit down on a park bench or similar and devour our goodies. This has been one of the most educative experiences in my life. (yes, really, I'm serious)

Of course I have not so fond memories of being the sandwich boy in London. The boss had smoked salmon (it was expensive in those days) and the boys had cheese and chutney, with a whole pecking order in between running through seniors and middle management.

I’ve done drive through burgers in the States with the indigestion to go. At one point I ate sandwiches on the Champs Elysées, which I found rather pleasant, but also expensive. I’ve grabbed pizza in Italy and bought buns from the van in Melbourne.

But my picnics now beat the lot. Well not exactly my picnics because,all I do is throw a few yoghurt pots, bananas, apples etc. in a plastic bag and grab a bottle of badoit, before rushing out of the house. My Anglo Saxon beginnings appearing in a disrespect for lunch. No the interesting picnics are those of my colleague. The said colleague was chef in his own restaurant for 15 years, and was born and bred in my small community.

Last autumn every picnic was highlighted by the champignon finds. Yes before sitting down to lunch he would search high and low for delectable specimens. Of course he found cêpes and pieds de mouton. But also many other species of which I had never heard. He has his own little portable condiment array and each specimen would be suitably oiled and spiced. He swears by eating them freshly picked and raw, which I must say is rather pleasant.

I used to throw a tomato in my picnic also. I no longer do that because commercial tomatoes are unthinkably bad. Now we only eat tomatoes in the autumn raised in the garden of my colleague from special seed. He sells surplus quantities on Orléans market, if you are looking for some delicious tomatoes next autumn. Of course he has special suppliers of apples, pears, cherries too.

One eye opener for me has been the importance of the charcuterie. Basically for him and many other French people we meet, I have discovered that the standing of a village can be judged by its charcuterie and the specialities served. If the area in which we are picnicking is devoid of a good charcuterie then we may have to make a detour to pick up one of those pieces of cooked pork which I previously looked at rather disparagingly.(and I've discovered are delicious) If we are anywhere near a five star charcuterie then we go the extra km. to enliven our meal.

Inevitably one thing is never left to chance. Each morning he arrives with a freshly baked and carefully selected baguette.

7 commentaires:

Thomas R a dit…

Richard,

Just a quick word to say how pleased I am that you have started a blog. Your comments on Colin Randall's past and present blog have, of course, generated much anger and as a proud anglo-saxon who has lived in the Paris region for the past 13 years I have disagreed with almost everything that you have written about England while agreeing with almost everything you admire about France.

I do so hope you start to get some angry Brits answering back with comments soon though. It is such fun to see you wind them up.

Sarah a dit…

Only half an hour for lunch? Call himself a Frenchman? Pah! Sounds a closet Anglo-Saxon to me...

Bill Taylor a dit…

I'm surprised more visitors to London don't eat picnic lunches, breakfasts and dinners. In the four days I just spent there, I couldn't decide if restaurant prices were frightening or ludicrously funny. Paris isn't a cheap place to eat out but it doesn't come close to London prices. And Rome is another world entirely. It was quite mild in London and on the one day when it wasn't pouring rain, my wife and I went for a long walk and stopped at a mid-range cafe for a snack. I ordered a milkshake and it cost 5-pounds-50 which, in Canadian terms, is more than $12! And it wasn't very good.

richard of orléans a dit…

Thomas R welcome to the blog. You can't have it both ways you are either with the French or agin. And with the French means doing everthing to stop the pervasive influence of the Anglo Saxons messing up our lives. It's chalk or cheese , and I don't think I have to explain who eats expensive chalk.

Sarah, I never pretend that I am French. I got messed up in my early years and complete recovery is unfortunately not possible. In fact that is the number one reason I retain my English passport. Now of course we do many things that make life pleasant in addition to taking time out for champignon hunting.The special trips to the charcuterie count as work time for example. We have long in depth study sessions on the quality of different wines. That's work as well. We have a vigneron as a customer so we are obliged to attend his wine tastings. We also have a cave as a customer, who needs our loyal support.

Besides many real French companies now have short lunch breaks.

Thomas R a dit…

I work for a real French Company (it even has the word 'France' in the title, but I don't want to be more specific) and we are called to more and more 'sandwich meetings' where, for the price of a baguette with cheese and/or ham we are expected to work through lunch for free. The old boys who have been here for 20-30 years are aghast.

I guess that's what Richard would call the "pervasive influence of the Anglo Saxons messing up our lives." There, he may have a point.

Sarah a dit…

I was referring to your boss, Rich, not you.

When my mother goes to London, she travels free with her OAP pass, and takes sandwiches for lunch. She visits an art exhibition opening for a drinkie (for which she has an invitation-no gate-crashing), and a museum, free.

Lovely days out for nothing.

richard of orléans a dit…

Sarah, You're not paying attention. it is my little company , so I am the boss. Though some days I feel like a skivvy.
There's a name for people who can't pay attention, somebody's syndrome. It comes from working under pressure all day in an anglo saxon environment.Saint Bloggie must be more stressful than you're letting on.